Wednesday, July 31, 2013

On Accountability

I've been painting a long time.

Well, that's not true.  I've been buying models for a long time, piling them in corners and regretting it later.  Dozens of models, hundreds of models, from all different game systems.  I have spent hours and hours pouring over army lists, reading rules and theorizing about how I would play my next game.  I have thought about paint schemes and written fluffy back stories for each army, created my own house rules and army lists and generated dozens of spreadsheets and gaming aides to make me a better player.  In fact, I dare say there are only two things I've neglected in my twenty years of gaming: Painting and Playing.

This is something I intend to change.  For the last year I've been trying to add a little discipline to my hobby.  I'm not buying entire armies at once , instead limiting myself to what I can get finished and I've started tracking my progress with each project.  The funny thing is it's working!  I'm getting things done and piece by piece I'm becoming a better painter.

One project at a time.  The reward of progress is that I get to buy more things, but not until I make progress on the pile of metal I already have.  It's the antithesis of everything I've done up until recently, but it's getting results.

So that brings us to this blog.  My goal here is to use this space to keep myself motivated, to keep painting and to keep playing.  I'm going to share my thoughts on the models as I paint them and on games in general. I'm going to hold myself accountable to this hobby, lest I grow up someday and find myself an old man surrounded by projects unfinished and games unplayed.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment